Saturday, April 23, 2011

On Patience

I was approaching the point where I’d resigned myself to a mediocre fate. I, like many of you I’m sure, have a dead-end job, and the writer in me is bursting at the seams. I want to be paid for my passion. I want someone to acknowledge this wellspring of talent. I was ready to trade in this dead-end job for another one, the only difference being better pay.



And then I read a detailed horoscope this weekend. A little background: I’m a recovering astrology junkie. I once lived my life by the stars, which, for me, was destructive, because I wasn’t taking responsibility for my actions. I now refer to astrology as a guidance tool, and I don’t give it precedence over any other form of guidance or advice.

Back to my original point: the horoscope told me to hold off on trying to start a new job until July. JULY?!!! That’s a whopping three months away! I’ll be a shriveled remnant of a writer by then, clutching what’s left of my long-forgotten talent. It’s ironic because this was the same time frame that I gave myself back at the beginning of the year, but I abandoned it due to mounting frustrations with my current job.  

And then I started to see the possibilities that three months can hold. In three months, I can get my portfolio together and transform it from mediocre to spectacular. In three months, I can learn more about the software that every single job that I want seems to require. In three months, I can make new contacts who may introduce me to companies that I only dreamt of working for. In three months… I can make possibilities into realities and create new stars to reach for.

It was then that I realized, this is my time (dammit!). So what if I have to be patient on the job front, I am still flowering as a writer, as a woman, as a human being. Exercising patience doesn’t mean that the record has stopped spinning; it’s just chopped and screwed. And now that everything is in slow motion, I can hear every word that the universe is whispering to me. I’m going to carpe every single diem in this three-month (or however long it may be) period. I have no idea what’s in store for me; I only know what I am capable of. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned for sure, it’s that when you do the right thing—when you act according to the rhythm of your spirit, the universe responds in kind. 


This post also appeared on The Evolution of SHE.

No comments:

Post a Comment